With cloudHQ you can set up a real-time backup of all your Google Drive accounts to Amazon S3 / Glacier or any other cloud storage (Drobpox, etc.). Real-time data backup is the backup of files by automatically making a backup copy of every change made to your Google Drive files. This means that cloudHQ is essentially capturing every version of your Google Drive files and saving them to Amazon S3. It allows the Google Apps administrator to restore data (or create a snapshot of your system) to any point in time. You can think about cloudHQ sync as very powerful version of Apple Time Machine.
And to set up real-time backup of Google Drive accounts you basically need to create backup sync pairs (backup sync pairs are basically definition how to backup certain users) which will backup each of your users’ Google Drive account to a dedicated Amazon S3 bucket (or optionally folder under the bucket).
For example, something like this:
Google Drive (firstname.lastname@example.org) -> Amazon S3/Backup_bucket/Google Drive (email@example.com) Google Drive (firstname.lastname@example.org) -> Amazon S3/Backup_bucket/Google Drive (email@example.com) ...
And here are step-by-step instructions how to achieve that:
Amazon S3 Preparation:
Before we start cloudHQ wizard to backup of your Google Drive accounts we need first to create appropriate Amazon S3 bucket, Amazon AWS AIM user, and if needed configure Amazon Glacier policies for your backup bucket.
- Create Amazon S3 bucket which store your Google Drive backups.
If you are looking for Amazon S3 encrypted backups then you will need to attach AWS policy which will enforce AWS server-side encryption. The instructions are here: https://support.cloudhq.net/how-to-enforce-aws-server-side-encryption-on-your-amazon-backup-bucket/
- Create Amazon AWS AIM user which will own this backup. Some instructions are here: https://support.cloudhq.net/how-to-create-amazon-iam-user-for-cloudhq-sync-backup-to-amazon-s3/
- Optionally, you can set up Amazon S3 to Amazon Glacier archiving rules. Some instructions are here: https://support.cloudhq.net/how-to-setup-archive-to-amazon-glacier/
Google Apps Preparation:
- Ensure that you are a Google Apps super admin. The instructions are here:
- Ensure that the Google Apps Administrative API is enabled for your domain. The instructions are here: https://support.cloudhq.net/how-to-check-if-google-apps-administrative-api-is-enabled-for-your-domain/.
Authorize cloudHQ to access your Amazon S3
In order to backup to Amazon S3, cloudHQ needs to be authorized to access your Amazon S3 bucket dedicated for backup. To do that you must have an provide key ID and a secret access key of AIM user which have full read-write access to your backup bucket. If you don’t know what that is, please check here: https://support.cloudhq.net/how-to-figure-out-your-access-key-id-and-secret-key-in-amazon-s3/.
- Go to https://www.cloudHQ.net/services and click on “Amazon S3” icon:
- Go to https://www.cloudHQ.net/services and click on the “Amazon S3” icon:
- Authorize your Amazon S3 account:
Authorize cloudHQ to access your Google Apps domain
- Go to https://www.cloudHQ.net/services and click the “Google Apps” icon:
- Enter your Google Apps super-admin email and follow the wizard steps:
Create backup sync pairs from Google Drive accounts to Amazon S3
Here are short instructions how to create backup sync pairs from Google Drive accounts to Amazon S33:
- Select “For IT Admins: Multiple Users Setup” as the type of sync:
- Select “Google Apps” as your organization’s cloud platform:
- Click the Google Drive icon or drag the icon to the left empty box:
- Select the users whose app you want to sync. cloudHQ will get a list of users from Google Apps and ask you which users you want to sync.
- Click on “Switch to Backup” so that arrow points from right to left:
- Click the Amazon S3 icon or drag the icon to the right empty box:
- Please note that the sync will automatically switch to backup:
- Click the folder/bucket where you want to create your backup:
- Click “Finish”:
- Configuration will be done by cloudHQ:
- Synchronization pairs will automatically be done by cloudHQ:
- Synchronization will start. Here is How to Monitor Status of Sync.
Set up archive in Amazon Glacier
Optionally, you can setup archiving of your backups to Amazon Glacier. Here are instructions to set up an archive in Amazon Glacier: