The concept of a delegated account allows one user to grant another user access to their Gmail account, letting the latter read, send, and delete messages on their behalf. In order words, email delegation is the process of delegating access to your email account to another person. This guide will walk you through the steps for an assistant (delegate) to use Gmail Email Templates when managing a delegated account.
You can read more about the concept of delegated accounts in this support note Concept of delegated account in cmail.
The assistant, who is acting as the delegate, aims to use Gmail Email Templates by cloudHQ while reading and sending emails from manager’s Gmail account. These templates are stored on the manager’s cloudHQ account, and the assistant needs to use Gmail Email Templates while managing the manager’s emails.
Here are instructions on how to use a delegated account with Email Templates. But before diving into the details, let’s clarify the roles:
- Owner (Manager): The primary Gmail account holder who wishes to delegate certain functions of their email account. Let’s assume that the email address for this account is email@example.com.
- Delegate (Assistant): The individual granted permission to access and manage specific parts of the owner’s Gmail account. Let’s assume that the email address for this account is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here’s how you and your manager can set things up:
- The manager should install Email Templates on their Gmail account (email@example.com).
- The manager should create a new cloudHQ account.
- The manager needs to connect this new cloudHQ account to both Gmail and Google Drive, i.e., fully install the email templates.
- After that, the manager should email firstname.lastname@example.org and request to change their cloudHQ account to use a username and password.
- The manager should then create a password and share this new password with the assistant.
Next steps for the assistant:
- Log into Gmail as email@example.com.
- Switch to the delegator’s (manager’s) email firstname.lastname@example.org from a dropdown menu to read/manage emails for that account.
- Open a new browser tab and visit cloudHQ’s website: https://www.cloudhq.net
- Sign in to cloudHQ as email@example.com. Use password received by manager in step 5) above.
- Go back to your Gmail tab where you manage the manager’s emails and refresh the browser.
- The assistant can now use Gmail Email Templates via cloudHQ while sending emails on the manager’s behalf.
In summary, the manager needs to create a cloudHQ account (let’s call it firstname.lastname@example.org), authorize Gmail and Google Drive, and then convert that cloudHQ account to use a username and password. This password should then be shared with the assistant (email@example.com). The assistant should then log into Gmail as firstname.lastname@example.org and into cloudHQ as email@example.com.