To find out more about ChatGPT for Gmail by cloudHQ, click here.
Install ChatGPT for Gmail from Chrome Web Store or Microsoft Edge Add-ons Store.
Understanding the OpenAI API
The OpenAI API is a platform that allows access to OpenAI’s sophisticated AI models.
This API is not accessible free of charge. Usage fees are levied on a per-request basis, with the cost varying based on factors such as the length of the text the model is requested to generate.
API keys are used for authentication within the OpenAI API. These keys are crucial in requests to confirm the identity of the requester, be it a user or an application. To utilize the API, developers must obtain their API keys via the OpenAI API’s user interface.
The OpenAI API provides the following advantages:
- Efficacy: API calls are not subject to throttling by OpenAI or to the user-level limitations of ChatGPT.
- Scalability: The OpenAI API, like all APIs, offers scalability. This means that as your user base expands or your data processing requirements increase, the API is capable of managing the elevated demand.
- Availability: The API system provides exceptional availability, guaranteeing maximum functionality and accessibility, far surpassing the limitations at the user level of ChatGPT.
How to configure ChatGPT for Gmail to use OpenAI API
ChatGPT for Gmail is fully compatible with the OpenAI API and you use can use OpenAI API instead of ChatGPT interface. If you have access to the OpenAI API, you can use your API keys.
Here are the steps to use your OpenAI API keys:
- Go to https://platform.openai.com/account/api-keys to get your OpenAI key. Save the key.
- Click on the ChatGPT for Gmail icon in the upper right corner of your browser. If you do not see the ChatGPT for Gmail icon, click on the “extension” icon and you will see the ChatGPT for Gmail icon in the dropdown.
- Enter your OpenAI API key and select the OpenAI model to use (GTP-3.5-Turbo or GPT-4).